Before we left for Atlanta we did tons of work cleaning and rearranging our house. I was really happy with it when we left, but felt like it was missing a bit of greenery! Obviously it wouldn’t have been smart to buy a bunch of plants before going on holiday, so we waited for a bit and finally picked a few up yesterday!
Between a trip to Nashville and travelling back home to Halifax, this week was definitely busy! I know, I know… I totally say that every week. But! You may have noticed a bit of radio silence on my part… I chose not to post on Sunday and Tuesday because I wanted to spend the last few days hanging out with my family instead of being glued to my computer. I’m happy I made that decision because I feel like our last days were so much better.
Only one more weekend in Atlanta! This trip has gone by SO fast. I’m really excited though, because tomorrow I am on my way to Nashville! Then on Wednesday we fly back to Halifax. As sad as I am to leave my family, I am sort of homesick for our cute little house in Halifax. I am very excited to see my friends again and to be able to leave the house without needing a car!
Before we got to Savannah I made a list of restaurants to check out so that we would know where to go. We were only there for one night and didn’t get to check them all out, but we did try a few places that were really good!
My parents have lived in Georgia for about three years now, and yet I had never really gone off to explore the state for myself. When Adam and I decided to come to Georgia for three weeks we decided that we wanted to make sure we got out and travelled around the state a bit instead of staying home for the whole trip. With my Dad away on business and the car free, we decided to take a trip to Savannah for a night! I am so glad we did. We tried not to overplan and I was so happy just to walk around and take it all in.
Today started off nice and slow with checking emails and doing maintenance for the blog. It was wonderful to sit in the quiet house with my tea for a couple hours and catch up on work! Not a day has gone by without some sort of commitment, and after our busy trip out to Savannah I’m happy to have a little rest. I’ve been editing photos for our trip all morning and will be putting a post together about our trip on Sunday, so stay tuned!
- Bella & My Dad’s concert! My Dad and sister Bella are in a Celtic band called Sinsear with a few other people and have been playing in various gigs around Atlanta. When I was planning my trip to Georgia, I made sure I would be around at the beginning of May so that I could attend their biggest gig yet; opening up for Lisa Kelly! The weather that day was beautiful, and because the concert was in an amphitheatre and it was really fun to sit outside and listen to the music. Bella sang alongside her friend Caty, and my Dad played rhythm guitar. I think they sounded great!
- Mother’s Day! As I mentioned in my Mother’s Day post, I haven’t been in home for Mother’s day since high school. It was really nice spending the day with my Mom and taking her out for dinner!
- Walking through the streets of Savannah! When Adam and I planned our trip to Savannah, we didn’t really plan too much other than which hotel we would stay at and a couple of restaurants to check out that came highly recommended. Instead, we decided to just walk around and see what was around! We spent hours just walking around the squares and streets taking pictures of the beautiful homes in the historic district. It was nice to walk around without a schedule or an itinerary… To get lost in a city we’d never explored before and get a feel for the city without the stress of over planning.
- Breakfast at Mirabelle cafe! When I was searching on Pinterest for things to do in Savannah, I kept hearing about the Mirabelle cafe and put it on my list of things to check out! We ended up at the cafe for breakfast, and it was one of the highlights of our trip! I will talk about it more later, but I had to include it in this post because it was definitely one of my favourite parts of the trip!
- Tybee Beach! After a morning of walking around Savannah, Adam and I drove to Tybee beach for the afternoon. We walked up and down the beach, went swimming and even saw dolphin’s playing in the waves! The waves were huge and kept knocking me over, but I think I was smiling the whole time. I love being in the water! It makes me feel like a little kid again. On a not so fun note, we both forgot sunscreen and now look like lobsters.
Tonight I am off to an end of the year banquet hosted by Bella and Levi’s high school. I didn’t bring anything nice to wear but managed to find a white maxi dress for $16.99 at Ross yesterday! Now that I think about it, finding a pretty dress to wear for under $20 was definitely a happy moment in my week. Maybe I should have titled this post “Six Happy Things”!
How was your week?
Guess where I am right now! If you guessed beautiful Savannah, Georgia you would be right! Adam and I left early this morning to make the 4 hour drive from Atlanta to Savannah. But more on our actual trip later… For now, I want to talk about all my road trip essentials!
Living away from home for the past three years means I’ve missed so many birthdays, holidays and countless other important moments. I’ve had to watch from afar as my family adjusts into their new life in Atlanta, and try to keep up with their busy and full life. Which is why this long trip home is so special.
It’s that time of week again! Time for me to sit down and think about all the things big or small that made me happy this week. Here we go!
If there is one thing I’ve learned as lover of interior design while on a student budget, it’s that even the most problematic rooms can be beautiful if put your mind to it.
Our living room is a perfect example of this.